Jesse Syllabus Forums Blog Poems

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Zenita
      Participant

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>When first reading </span><i><span style=”font-weight: 400;”> I got lost/ I got deleted </span></i><span style=”font-weight: 400;”>by Andrea Abi-Karam I immediately develop a vivid image of a massacre. The setting was dark, isolated and cold. But I couldn’t tell if it was metaphorical or literal. The line that reconciled the most with me was “ I hope others will notice my disfigurement too”. Through this line, I capture the evident signs of depression. While not verbally expressing the state they are going through the speaker eagerly wants someone to notice that they are submerged in sadness. In an attempt to escape the harsh reality, the speaker has forced her/himself into solitude. In the Girl </span>l by<span style=”font-weight: 400;”> Christina Olivares, I wasn’t really able to decipher the theme due to the complexity of the poem. However,  when the author says “ When I opened my eyes, I was afraid to find. she called herself </span><i><span style=”font-weight: 400;”>girl</span></i><span style=”font-weight: 400;”>, like me. Eventually, I was less afraid. “  I was able to develop the idea that the poem may be about a trans woman. Through this, I interpreted that the speaker went through a long period of feeling Isolated. Leading them to feel incomplete and cast aside by society. This dream of a garden influenced the speaker to be comfortable with who they are no matter what society thinks. My favorite poem out of them all was </span><i><span style=”font-weight: 400;”>Dear gone</span></i><span style=”font-weight: 400;”> by Grey Vild. This was my favorite poem simply because of the quote “ Remember, that winter—I didn’t realize how sad you were. Until you started talking about adopting a pet pig…”. That is 100% me! I have yet to purchase a pig, but to cope with depression I find poetry very helpful. Which has to lead me to buy every single poetry book I find on Amazon. They come in quicker then I can finish the books I already have but on the bright side, I’ll never run out of great poems to read. </span>

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar