Jesse Syllabus Forums Blog Biases

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #317
      Maryanne Atocha
      Participant

People are biased towards many things and often tend to not care about issues unless they affect them or people around them. Society tends to set up standards to make people act a certain way and those who don’t fit into the mold are often considered outcasts. Society wants women to dress modestly and its fine if you want to dress modestly but you shouldn’t need to just because society tells you to. Society also expects men to have lots of sex with multiple partners but if its a woman having lots of sex with multiple partners, people tend to look down upon them. When people “come out” to their friends and family it is mostly seen as a big surprise or something that wasn’t expected and the “norm” is that everyone is straight. In the media, POC are portrayed differently than white people. When a black man is killed they will show a mugshot or they will talk about everything bad that they have done in life but on the other hand, if a white man kills someone they’ll talk about how he played sports or had a family or something like that. There’s  so many double standards and it’s disgusting. As for immigrants people will say that they are lazy however they are just trying to make a living and take care of their families and its funny how a lot of the people saying that immigrants shouldn’t be in the U.S., their families immigrated here from another part of the world. Even white Americans aren’t native to the U.S. only Native Americans are and they were pushed off their lands by Europeans. People have challenged my view before especially on Twitter when I tweeted an anti-Trump tweet and someone came at me trying to say that I was wrong and wanted me to respond and I did but they wanted to keep going and start a whole debate and I decided not to since I knew that they would just keep going and not change their minds so it would be a waste of my time. I agree with the second discourse video on that not everything has to be a debate especially if you know that they are just doing it to annoy/waste your time instead of actually trying to have a conversation about it.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.