Feminism response

Jesse Syllabus Forums Blog Feminism response

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Stephanie Valentin
      Participant

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”> I don’t necessarily know where on the spectrum of feminism I fit in because I’m not very knowledgeable on these topics, but I would definitely say I’m a feminist. I strongly believe women are capable of doing anything and everything men can; that women can dress however they want and shouldn’t be shamed for it. Most of all, women should be allowed to make decisions and do whatever without the restrictions of societal beliefs. As a kid, I was intuned with being a girly girl, but that changed after a while. I started dressing more like a tomboy; I think it was because I was tired of everyone telling me what a girl can or can’t do and the expectations girls had to follow. Hearing this as a kid made me feel conflicted because, sometimes, I did have my girly moments, but I was strongly attracted and more comfortable with being a tomboy. I became a little rebel by defying the norm, which resulted in being bashed by my family. They would tell me, “you’re a girl, not a boy, so you can’t do this or that” or “you’re not supposed to be playing with boys”, which would piss me off, but what could I do. In my early teen years, I would say what solidify my ideas was the constant reminder from my dad that “girls can’t do this”, “girls have to be this way”, and “your brother can do this because he’s a boy”. After that, I carried a f@#k that attitude and did what I wanted. Going back to the videos, I agree with Kat Blaque’s point that there should be space to allow everyone to express their identity, however they want. People know themselves and should feel comfortable to express themselves in whatever shape or form. </span>

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar