Gender and Sex

Jesse Syllabus Forums Blog Gender and Sex

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Fariha Tahsin
      Participant

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>Our discussion on gender and sexuality was very open and important.There were all kinds of questions from and about all kinds of people and I feel that it’s very necessary to educate ourselves rather than make assumptions all the time. It was also good that there wasn’t serious judgment from one another, but an atmosphere of genuine helping and understanding of one another. In “On Using the Trans Panic Defense,” I absolutely loved the way the words were blacked out because it was symbolic for how the LGBT community, especially trans people have to hide themselves in order to avoid the judgement and fear that comes with being who you truly are. In class, we got to unravel some parts and talk about experiences with one another. I also enjoyed Jesse’s talk about her polyamorous relationship since I’ve always been very interested in those but she was the first person I met actually in one (the best of both worlds tbh) and it was nice to get insight on it. Of course, there’s always room for educating yourself and I feel that I’m always wondering about the experiences of trans, asexual, polyamorous, etc people who aren’t as represented out there. Everyone has personal things that pertain to their character which makes their life the way it is and whether we express it through writing, music, speaking or whatever, I wanna get to know people. Discussions about people around you are healthy and helpful because it decreases bias and increases deeper comprehension of someone’s background which was very helpful to all of us during class! 🙂 </span>

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar