Gender and sexuality

Jesse Syllabus Forums Blog Gender and sexuality

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Stephanie Valentin
      Participant

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>The discussion of gender and sexuality was very illuminating and I think necessary to have. I say necessary because I feel like a lot of people have questions regarding lgbtq topics, but are a bit hesitant to ask as to not offend anyone. I feel like giving this open space offers everyone to also be open minded and attentive to the responses they get for their questions. It helped me shed light on topics that I knew of, but not necessarily in detail. The class discussion also gave me an insight of my own identity, like when Jesse was talking about the identity of gender queer and how it means that your gender varies based on how you feel. I can relate to this, although I mostly feel one way, but I have days where I feel feminine. In one of the poems</span><i><span style=”font-weight: 400;”> Ekphrasis on an Unsolicited Dick Pic</span></i><span style=”font-weight: 400;”>, there were a couple of lines that stuck out to me which were “how you would call this gender—a veil. My flesh—dance of illusions”. Its comparing gender identity to a veil, which is kind of weird because veils usually conceal; the person’s body or “flesh” also deceives or eludes their true identity. In a way, I think what’s being said is that the gender in question is concealing their true personality. The person’s body kind of deceives everyone to think they are one way, when they are not. I could be wrong, I truly don’t know because I have crappy analyzing skills, but the quote grabbed my attention.  </span>

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar