Hierarchies

Jesse Syllabus Forums Blog Hierarchies

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #473
      Fariha Tahsin
      Participant

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>There are a million different hierarchies and systems in which privilege is involved. For example, racism, classism, the patriarchy and LGBT community. Although a lot of people don’t want to admit it, there are levels in every group of people out there, and people do get treated differently based on their identities and the factors which add up to the person. I am a pansexual Muslim Asian woman and those identities do impact me on the regular. However, I think I do understand more about what exactly my position is as I’m getting older, and have tried to educate myself on the right ways to acknowledge the privileges I do have whilst fighting for the right things. For example, I’m very pale and know that being light skin does benefit me when it comes to colorism. I’ve unfortunately had to deal with family being discriminatory towards my darker family members, and it’s important to speak  up against them even though they are of my own blood. I need to call out those around me who don’t understand they are being the oppressors in their own community. However, I am grateful for the supportive family I have who are there for me, and I’m very happy to have that in a time where your familial ties can really make or break you. My sexuality and gender have been a very large part of the way I express myself, but that also plays into the way people view me. I need to remember that no matter what, there’s gonna be levels and issues and I need to be as strong and resilient as I can to not only speak up but help others in marginalized communities too.</span>

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.