Jesse Syllabus Forums LABOR LOG #1 Labor Log No.1

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Melissa De Jesus
      Participant

Labor Log Aug. 31 – Sept. 3

Reading

For this first week, there were several new things to get to for each of my courses. For my art history class I was required to read sections of our assigned text books building upon what we’ve been generally learning in class. I spent approximately 2 hours reading, since I am a pretty slow reader (however I am trying to improve.) These readings mainly consisted of art terms generally used when writing about visual arts such as paintings and sculptures. I took a break between readings, since I did go over an extensive amount of pages and eventually moved on to reading the assigned book for FIQWS. I’ve been trying to write my thoughts down on what I’ve been reading from Fierce Femmes and Notorious Liars, since it is such an intriguing book. This text does such an amazing job of keeping the reader hooked and I’m really looking forward to finishing it.

Writing

On the first day of class, my art professor gave the class dates for when writing assignments would be due and turns out one of them is actually due this week. For the assignment, I’m required to write a formal analysis on a painting of my choice from a list that my professor provided. Actually, I have to say, this assignment was actually not as bad as I thought it would be when I first saw it on the syllabus. It turns out that I really enjoyed writing about art and I think I should probably be taking that into consideration for when I choose my major. During the process of writing I did have to consult one of my assigned textbook to read up on formal analysis since I wasn’t really sure what it was at first. At the moment I’m almost done with it, it’s a fairly short analysis, but it’s really fun to write. In total, I’ve spent about 1 hour and 30 minutes writing.

Reflection

The reading and writing I’ve done this week actually helped me in the following ways; not only have I been able to slightly improved how fast I can read, but also actually learn what a formal analysis is and how it is done. I definitely think these are things that will come in handy in the future especially since I am now considering something in the arts as long as biology as my field of study. So far, I’ve been content with how all my classes have been progressing.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar