Rhetorical Analysis

Jesse Syllabus Forums Blog Rhetorical Analysis

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Fariha Tahsin
      Participant

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>The art of persuasion, also known as rhetoric, has been used for generations to convince an audience why their point of view is worth listening and understanding. From Martin Luther King’s Letters from a Birmingham Jail to a child begging their mom why they deserve new toys, we have all experienced what effect persuasion has on people. In these articles, we see the authors themselves using rhetoric to explain to us the importance of this technique. This method allows someone to communicate and further strengthen their argument by presenting it to their audience in various ways. The three main types are logos, pathos and ethos. Logos deals with logistics and facts, pathos pulls at the heart strings and emotions of people while ethos builds credibility. Although I was very familiar with all these terms, I was introduced more in depth to kairos – how we speak and time our movements. There are auditory as well as kinetic learners and there is a different impact in the tones and body language we use to get our methods across.</span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>The graphic novel delves into modern times and the use of visual rhetoric which can impact us more than we think. We don’t realize the value that transparency, hybridity, audience stance and other factors have on the way we perceive ideas. I was also introduced to these terms and was better able to understand the phrase “a picture is worth a thousand words.” Hocks thoroughly explains how small details in designs can construct different ideas among different minds. We experience rhetoric in everyday life and use our morals and personal beliefs to mold what we hear and see to fit an agenda we are willing to support. After years and years of typing up five page papers to support a thesis, this graphic model opened my eyes to other creative ideas on persuasion.</span>

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar